主题

11万

帖子

33万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-6 12:05:24 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  351. The rapidly growing birth rate brings about a lot of environment problems, which the government is supposed to take _____.
  A. significantly  B. severely C. earnestly D. seriously
  [答案] D. seriously.
  [注释]take...seriously 是习惯搭配,意为“重视,认真对待”
  352. Carl wanted to play a joke on Bob but gave himself _____ by laughing.
     A. away    B. in    C. out    D. up
  [答案] A. away.
  [注释]give away 暴露,泄露。参阅III.68.注释。
  353. The government is _____ and will take the necessary steps to maintain security and stability.
     A. on the alert    B. out of control
     C. on guard        D. in vain
  [答案] A. on the alert.
  [注释]on the alert (=alert; watchful; careful) 警惕,小心:Drivers must be on the alert for traffic signals. (=Drivers must be especially careful to see signals when driving a car.) (司机必须密切注视交通信号。)out of control 失去控制;on guard站岗;in vain 徒劳,无效。
  354. Many people complain of the rapid _____ of modern life.
     A. rate    B. pace    C. speed    D. growth
  [答案] B. pace.
  [注释]pace 走或跑的速度;发展或进步速度。
  355. She has lost her handbag with the _____ sum of $150 in it.
     A. extraordinary    B. important
     C. considerable     D. valuable
  [答案] C.considerable.
  [注释]considerable 相当可观的。[注意]considerate考虑周到的,体谅的,体贴的:1)She is considerate to others. (她能体谅别人。)2)That was very considerate of you.(你真体谅别人。)
  356. Russia's withdrawal of its experts from China did not strangle (压垮) the Chinese people; _____ it stirred up their enthusiasm for greater exertions.
     A. on the other hand    B. on the contrary
     C. to the contrary      D. in consequence
  [答案] B. on the contrary.
  [注释]on the contrary相反地:--Have you nearly done?--On the contrary, I have only just begun. Monday unless you write me to the contrary. (我星期一将来,除非你写信告诉我有相反地情况。)
  357. As he had no friends and relatives in the town, the traveler tried to find a _____ somewhere.
     A. log    B. lodge    C. landing    D. lodging
  [答案] D. lodging.
  [注释]log 圆木,lodge门房,传达室,lodging住所,landing登陆;降落。
  358. Because the children keep interrupting her whenever she reads a book, she is always _____ her place.
  A. loosing B. missing C. losing  D. looking for
  [答案] C. Losing.
  [注释]lose one's place意为读书时“找不到读到哪儿”。类似的习语有:lose heart(灰心,泄气),lose one's heart to sb. (爱上某人),lose one's head(惊慌失措),lose one's hold on(or over)(失去对......的控制),lose one's temper(发脾气),lose one's tongue (紧张得不知说什么好),lose one's way (迷路),lose sight of(看不见了),lose one's never(失去勇气)。
  359. The manager said that they had an _____ plan if the plan they had submitted was not accepted.
  A. alternate  B.alternative   C.absolute  D. appreciable
  [答案] B. alternative.
  [注释]alternative 可提供选择的,两者挑一的:alternate交替的:1)There was no alternative route open to her. (在她面前没有另外可供选择的路线。)2)French and English are not alternative courses; but may be taken in the same year.(语法和英语并不是交替开设的课程;而可以在同一年里选修。)
  360. Jim isn't _____, but he did badly in the final exams last semester.
     A. gloomy    B. dull    C. awkward    D. tedious
  [答案] B. dull.
  [注释]dull (=slow in understanding) 迟钝的。
  361. At first Bob was puzzled by Virginia s waving, but then it _____ his mind that she was trying to tell him something.
     A. crossed    B. passed    C. occurred    D. opened
  [答案] A. crossed.
  [注释]cross one's mind 想起:1)A sudden thought crossed my mind. 2)It never crossed my mind that he might refuse the request. (我从来没有想到他可能会拒绝这个请求。)如用pass则应加through, 例如:When Jane did not come home by midnight, many terrible fears passed through Mother's mind. (=Mother thought of many things that might have happened to Jane.)occur的用法如下:1)That view of the case did not occur to me before. (对这个案件的那种看法以前我没有想到过。)2)It occurred to her that she might adopt a homeless child.(她想到,她可以收养一个无家可归的孩子。)关于“想起”的以上三种表达法考生务必弄懂熟记。这些词组和句形不仅在词汇测试中经常遇到,而且在短文写作时也可以使用。
  本题译文:起初鲍玻对弗吉尼亚的挥手致意感到迷惑,但后来他想到,她想告诉他某事。
  362. His job at the hospital did not pay much, so he found another _____.
     A. on the rise       B. on the spot
     C. on the decline    D. on the side
  [答案] D. on the side.
  [注释]on the side(=in addition to a main thing) 额外;作为兼职:1)He ordered a hamburger with onions and French fries on the side. (=He ordered a hamburger with onions and French fries extra.) 2)He does some house-keeping work on the side.(他帮人家做些家务活作为兼职。)on the rise(作表语)在上升;on the spot 现场;on the decline (做表语)在下降:The population in the country is on the decline. (这个国家的人口在下降。)
  363. The filling station _____ because there were too many others on the street.
     A. fell through    B. went under
     C. fell out        D. went through
  [答案] B. went under.
  [注释]go under 破产,失败。fall through 也有“失败”之意,但多半指计划、想法等“落空”。
  本题译文:这个加油站破产了,因为在这条街上加油站太多了。
  364. Air and the sun's rays create much distortion, and whatever tends to _____ their influence is useful to the astronomer.
  A. exclude  B. eliminate  C. extinguish  D. impose
  [答案] A. exclude.
  [注释]exclude 排除。extinguish扑灭;eliminate消除。
  impose 把......强加给:Don't impose your wishes on us.(不要把你的意思强加给我们。)
  365. The lady who had invited us heard me telling my wife that the dinner was terrible so I was _____.
  A.confused B. nervous  C.shameful  D.embarrassed
  [答案] D. embarrassed.
  [注释]be embarrassed 感到窘迫。
  366. Animals should not be locked in cages; they should be in their normal _____.
  A. environment B.position  C.residence  D. dwelling
  [答案] A. environment.
  [注释]environment(=surroundings, circumstances)环境,environment作集合名词用时,只用单数形式:We should work hard to improve our environment. (单词,不可数)Children need a happy home environment. (单数,可数)
  367. I'm sorry but what he thinks is not of the _____ importance to me.
  A. merest  B. lowest  C. last  D. least
  [答案] D. least.
  [注释]least 是little的最高级形式。
  368. He offered to _____ her a hand as the suitcase was too heavy for her to carry.
     A. lend    B. help    C. show    D. loan
  [答案] A. lend.
  [注释]lend sb. a hand给某人帮个忙。
  369. I have been looking for this book for months, and _____ I have found it.
  A.at least  B. in no time  C.at last  D.at present
  [答案] C. at last.
  [注释]at last (=in the end)最终;at least至少;in no time 立即,马上;at present 目前。
  370. It was the largest experiment we had ever had; it _____ six hours.
  A. ended  B. finished  C. prolonged  D. lasted
  [答案] D. lasted.
  [注释]last vi. (for) 持续。
  371. The _____ stuck on the outside of the envelope said "By Air".
  A. label    B. ticket    C. signal    D. sign
  [答案] A. label.
  [注释]label 标签,标记。signal信号. sign记号;指示牌:traffic signs (交通版示)。notice布告。
  372. Psychological studies show that some people are quick-tempered _____.
  A. at heart B. on purpose   C. in person  D. by nature
  [答案] D. by nature.
  [注释]by nature 天生,生来。in person 1)亲自,亲身:I shall be present at the meeting in person.(我将亲自出席会议。)2)身体上,外貌上:In person he was handsome, strong and healthy.(他面目清秀,体格强壮。)at heart 1)内心里,实质上:His manners are cold, but he is at heart a kind man. (他的言谈举止有些冷淡,但实际上他是一个好心肠的人。)2)考虑的是......:When I say don't eat sweets, I have your health at heart.(我叫你别吃果糖,是考虑到你的健康。)on purpose 故意地。
  373. She was putting on her watch when the _____ broke and it fell to the ground.
  A. belt    B. strap    C. tie    D. string
  [答案] B. strap.
  [注释]strap(表,手提包的)带。belt绷带,seatbelt(系于飞机座位上的)安全带。tie领带,string细绳子。
  374. Feudal landlords, and imperialists are in no way more _____ than wolves.
  A. reasonable  B. regardless  C. ridiculous  D. rational
  [答案] D. rational.
  [注释]rational 有理性的。
  本题译文:封建地主和帝国主义者并不比豺狼更有理性。
  375. His name was on the _____ of my tongue, but I just couldn't recall it.
  A. end    B. point    C. edge    D. tip
  [答案] D. tip.
  [注释]be on (or at) the tip of one's tongue 就在嘴边,差点被想起,如:The answer was on the tip of my tongue, but I could't think of it.(我差点就想起那答案来,可就是想不起来。) be on the point of 正要(去做某事):I was just on the point of going when you came in.
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-6 12:54:54 | 显示全部楼层

376. The authorities declared that because of the war petrol was _____ and had to be rationed (定量供应).
  A. inadequate    B. rare    C. lacked    D. scarce
  [答案] D. scarce.
  [注释]本题译文:汽油供不应求,因此必须定量配给。
  Scarce(=not available in sufficient quantity, not equal to the demand)不充足的,缺乏的,供不应求的。Inadequate不适应的,不充分的。lack vt./vi. (=be without ; not have; have less than enough of) 缺乏;没有;缺少,例如:1)He lacks perseverance.(他缺乏坚定性。)2)Money is lacking for the plan.(此计划尚缺钱。)3)He is lacking in courage.(他缺乏勇气。)be lacking in 常指缺乏某种品质、特点等。lack作及物动词时,一般不用被动语态,故不能选C. lacked.4)They lacked for nothing.(他们什么也不缺。)有人认为,lack for是美国英语。
  377. How did it _____ that the two men arrived to address the same meeting at the same time.
  A. fall out  B. take place C. get around  D. come through
  [答案] A. fall out.
  [注释]fall out 1)吵架,闹翻。参阅III.45,52 2)结果是。参III.50注释。本题中fall out意为happen, come about(发生),例如:As it fell out, they were able to sell their old car.(=They didn't know if they could sell their old car, but at last they did sell it.)本题中it是形式主语,that引导主语从句。一般来说,不宜用take place作主语谓语,故不能入选。
  本题译文:事情结果怎么会这样:这两个人来在同一时间同一会议上作演讲?
  378. He looked incredulous(不轻信的) on hearing the news. He seemed to think it _____.
  A. incompatible B.incredible C.inclusive D indifferent
  [答案] B. incredible.
  [注释]incredible (=that cannot be believed; difficult to believe) 不可相信的,难以置信的:His story of rescuing six drowning men was incredible. (他抢救6个溺水人的事情是难以置信的。) incompatible(with)不相容的。inclusive包括的,包含的。indifferent 冷淡的,不关心的。
  379. In my opinion, your work does not _____ what I expected of you.
  A. catch up with  B. add up to  C. come up to  D. go in for
  [答案] C. come up to.
  [注释]come up to 达到,符合:1)He tries his best to come up to the expectations of the people.(他努力达到人民对他的期望。)2)This piece of work does not come up to the
  required standard.(这件工作没有达到需要的标准。)catch up with 赶上;add up to总计;go in for 从事,致力于,追求,沉溺于。
  380. I broke my relationship with John because he always found _____ with me.
  A. error    B. mistake    C. fault    D. failure
  [答案] C. fault.
  [注释]find fault with 挑剔,找......的岔子。例如:1)She tries to please him, but he always finds fault. (=He finds something wrong with everything she does.) 2)They found fault with every box I made. (=They found something wrong or something they did not like in every box I made.)
  381. Though he did not say so directly, the inspector _____ the man was guilty.
  A. declared   B. implied   C. disclosed   D. said
  [答案] B. implied.
  [注释]imply 暗示,含有......的意思:Silence sometimes implies consent.(沉默有时暗示同意。)
  382. At first it seemed that the building would be all right but later it was found to need _____.
     A. installations   B. modifications
     C. innovations     D. illustrations
  [答案] B. modifications.
  [注释]modification 更改,修改;installation 安装,装置;设备;innovation革命;illustration说明,例证,图解。按题意modifications最为切题。
  383. We can only give you the _____ number of refugees crossing the border at the moment.
  A. obscure  B. approximate C. impartial  D. imaginary
  [答案] B. approximate.
  [注释]approximate 近似的,大约的;obscure模糊的;impartial公正的,不偏的;imaginary假想的。
  384. Magnificent views over the countryside have often _____ people to write poems.
     A. convinced   B. inspired   C. induced   D. attracted
  [答案] B. inspired.
  [注释]inspire 鼓励,激励,产生:1)His speech inspired us to try again. 2)He inspired confidence in me.(他使我产生信心。)3)The good news inspired us with hope. (这个好消息使我们产生希望。)
  385. There are several landladies approved by the universities who take in _____.
  A. lodgersB. residents C. inhabitants  D. settlers
  [答案] A. lodgers.
  [注释]lodger客房;resident居民(对游客而言);local residents(当地居民),temporary residents(临时居民);inhabitant(=person living in a place)居民;a small town of 5,000 inhabitants(有5,000居民的小镇);settler殖民者,移居者;White settlers in Kenya(在肯尼亚侨居的白人);immigrant移民。
  本题译文:有几位房东太太是这些大学批准她们接纳房客的。
  386. He is the rudest man I have ever met. Jane, his present secretary, is the only person who can _____ him.
     A. respect   B. stand   C. support   D. dislike
  [答案] B. stand.
  [注释]stand (=endure, bear, put up with)忍耐,忍受;1)I can't stand that woman. 2)He cannot stand criticism.
  387. The main road through Littlebury was blocked for three hours today after an accident _____ two lorries.
  A. containing B. connecting C. involving D. including
  [答案] C. involving.
  [注释]involve 涉及到。例如:1)This problem involves us all. (这个问题涉及到我们大家。)2)His work involves occasional journeys. (他的工作使他不得不时常旅行。)3) To accept the appointment would involve living in London. (接受这项任命将不得不住在伦敦。)4)John was involved in the trouble. (约翰已陷入困境。)contain 包含,装有;connect 连接,include 包括。
  本题译文:今天在涉及两辆卡车的交通事故发生后,穿过Littlebury的大陆堵塞了3个小时。
  388. Jane read the article over ten minutes but continued to feel the event related were _____.
  A. inheritable B.incredible C.infeasible  D. inaccessible
  [答案] B. incredible
  [注释]incredible 难以置信的;inheritable可继承的;infeasible不切实际的; inaccessible不可到达的(to)。
  389. In some cities it is very difficult to have a telephone _____ , and people have to wait a long time before they can get a phone.
  A. assembled  B.installed  C. equipped  D. repaired
  [答案] B. installed.
  [注释]install 安装;assemble(=put together) 装配;equip装备;repaire修理。
  390. _____ up children properly is mainly their parents' duty.
  A. Growing   B. Rearing   C. Bringing   D. Raising
  [答案] C. bringing.
  [注释]bring up 教育,教养,抚养大;1)The child is badly brought up. 2) I was brought up to be honest. 参看III.17注释。grow up 成长,长大;发展,形成;1)I grew up on a farm. (我在农庄长大。)2)The custom of going away for one's holiday has grown up during the last thirty years. (外出度假的风俗习惯是最近30年形成的。)rear培养,抚育;rear children.
  raise[美国英语]养大;Where was he raised? (他在哪里长大的?) raise还有“饲养”的含义。
  [注意]rear 和raise后不能接up,故本题不能选用rearing 或 raising.
  391. When the teacher told the boy to sit down, he _____ to her and said she couldn't make him.
  A. gave way   B. talked back   C. looked up   D. got down
  [答案] B. talk back.
  [注释]talk back 顶嘴;1)Don't talk back to me! (别对我顶嘴!)2)Mary talked back when her mother told her to stop watching television; she said, “I don't have to if I don't want to.”give way 让路;look up查阅;get down从......下来;记下。
  392. People _____ with anyone who is always talking about how wonderful he is.
  A. fall in   B. get fed up   C. keep company   D. catch up
  [答案] B. get fed up.
  [注释]get (be) fed up with (=having had too much of something; at the end of your patience; disgusted; bored; tired)讨厌;I have had enough of his complaints. I'm fed up. (=I have heard all of the complaints I can stand.)
  fall in with 符合,与......一致。参阅III.51注释。Keep company with 与......交往,结伴;catch up with 赶上。
  393. Margaret liked all her classes, but she liked sewing class _____.
  A. above all B. in general  C. after all D. in particular
  [答案] D. in particular.
  [注释]in particular (=especially, particularly) 特别是:1) You should avoid eating fat meat, in particular pork. (你应该避免吃脂肪多的肉类,特别是猪肉。2)The speaker talked about sports in general and about football in particular.In general 是in particular 的反义结构,从上述例2)中可以看到。about all最重要的;after all毕竟。
  394. Walking down the street, she noticed a long _____ of houses, all exactly alike.
     A. queue   B. rank   C. train   D. row
  [答案] D. row.
  [注释]a row of houses (desks, books etc.) 一排房子(书桌、书等),戏院的“一排座位”即为a row of seats. queue (乘车,购物的)队,队伍。Rank(军队队列中的)排、横列。train指“(行进中的)长列,队列”;a long train of visitors(一长列参观者)。
  395. The president has told his friends that he is sick but will not admit it _____.
  A. in private  B. in secret  C. in public  D. in detail
  [答案] C. in public.
  [注释]in public 公开地,当众;in private 私下;in secret秘密地; in detail 详细地。
  396. The sailor _____ time to visit his family before the ship went to sea.
  A. put in for B. got round to C. ask after D. hold on to
  [答案] A. put in for.
  [注释]put in for(=make an application or request) 提出申请或请求;May I put in for five days' leave?( 我可以请5天假吗?)get round to (doing sth.) 找到时间作某事;ask after 询问,问候;hold on to 坚持(接to 加名词)。
  397. Throughout most of their lives, humans _____ learn and increase their mental capacity.
  A. actually   B. readily   C. fairly   D. primarily
  [答案] B. readily
  [注释]readily (=with no difficulty)容易地;They can readily be bought anywhere. (这些 东西在任何地方都能容易地买到。)
  actually 实际上;fairly 公平地;相当,划算;primarily主要地,首先;根本上。
  398. Through exposure to air, water, and organic matter, rocks _____ changes known as weathering.
  A. undergo   B. transform   C. undertake   D. suspend
  [答案] A. undergo.
  [注释]undergo (=experience esp. suffering or difficulty) 经受:1)She underwent a thorough examination at the hospital. (她在医院接受了全面的检查。)2)The travelers underwent many difficulties. (这些旅行者经受了许多困难。)undertake (=take up a [position]; start on [work]) 从事,负责(某事):1)He undertook the responsibility for changes. (他负责对各种变化作出安排。)2)At first we could only undertake repair jobs.(起初我们只能干修理活。)3)We shall undertake the construction of this bridge. (我们将负责这座桥的修建工作。)transform 改变;suspend吊,悬挂;推迟,暂定。
  本题译文:由于暴露于空气、水和有机物,岩石经受了称之为风化的变化。
  399. She tried to _____ out of the window to see the procession more clearly.
  A. bend   B. lean   C. bow   D. slope
  [答案] B. lean.
  [注释]lean vi. 倚,靠;lean out of the window(倚着窗户探出身去),lean against a tree(背倚靠着树),lean back in a chair (坐在椅子上背向后倾),lean on a desk(靠在桌上),指胸对桌子。
  400. The problem had become _____ in his mind, and he could not decide what to do about it.
  A. simplified  B. exaggerated   C. matured   D. isolated
  [答案] B. exaggerated.
  [注释]exaggerate(=say or believe more than the truth about sth.)夸张,夸大:It was a rabbit, not a lion. You are exaggerating as usual. (这是一只兔子,不是狮子。你经常夸大事实。)simplify 简化;mature使成熟;isolate使孤立。
  本题译文:这个问题在他头脑里夸大了,因此他无法决定该怎么办。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|新都网 ( 京ICP备09058993号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-2 08:24 , Processed in 0.063815 second(s), 7 queries , WinCache On.