主题

11万

帖子

33万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-24 09:28:25 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  51. The workmen made so much _____ that Mrs. Walker had to spend three days cleaning up afterwards.
          A. trouble B. damage C. mess D. nuisance
          [答案] C. mess.
          [注释]make mess弄得乱七八糟。Make a mess of“把......弄得乱七八糟”:He made a mess of his work. (他把他的工作搞得乱七八糟。
          52. They have held several meetings to _____ next year's production plans.
          A. set down B. make out C. work up D. draw up [答案] D. draw up.
          [注释]参阅III,42。
          本题译文, 他们已开过几次会议来起草明年得生产计划。
          53. How can we get this language point _____ to the students.
          A. down B. round C. across D. into
          [答案] C. across.
          [注释]参阅III,64注释。
          本题译文, 我们怎样才能把这个语言点向学生讲清楚?
          54. This book gives a brief _____ of the history of the castle and details of the art collection in the main hall.
          A. outline B. reference C. article D. outlook
          [答案] A. outline.
          [注释]outline 轮廓, 概要; give an outline of sth. 概要说明某事。
          55. Dress warmly, _____ you'll catch cold.
          A.on the contraryB.or rather C. or else D. in no way
          [答案] C. or else.
          [注释]or else (=otherwise; if not) 否则:Hurry up, or (else) you'll be late.
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-24 09:49:36 | 显示全部楼层
分页标题#e#
          56. Kate's ambition to become a nurse _____ from a desire to help others.
          A. prompted B. promoted C. programmed D. proceeded
          [答案] D. proceeded.
          [注释]proceed form (=arise form) 来自; 由......产生:1) Clouds of smoke proceeded form the chimney. (从烟囱里升起缕缕浓烟。) 2) This proceeded from ignorance. (这是出于无知。)
          [注意] proceed 的其他用法: (=go on [to do sth.]; continue) 接着 (做某事) ; 继续进行; 1) He proceeded to give me a vivid description of the mountainous scenery there. (他接着给我栩栩如生地描述那里的山区景色。) 2) 接介词with; Now please proceed with your story. (现在请你接着将下去。) 3) 接介词to: We will now proceed to the next business. (我们现在将接着干下面的一件事。) 4) 准备取得 (某种学位) :He will proceed to the degree of M.A. this year. (他准备今年取得文科硕士学位。)
          本题译文:凯特想当护士的志向出自于帮助他人的愿望。
          57. The island where these rare birds nest has been declared a _____.
          A.observationB.reservationC. preservationD.conservation
          [答案] D. conservation.
          [注释] conservation 保存(自然资源等) the conservation of soil and water 水土保持; the law of conservation of energy 能量守恒定律。observation观察; reservation (旅馆房间、戏院座位等的) 预定; 保留 (意见) ; [美]保留地:1) Have you make your reservations? (你预定了没有?) 2) I will accept the suggestion without reservation. (我将毫无保留地接受这项建议。) 3) The government has set apart Indian reservations. (政府已经划出印地安人保留地。) preservation保存 We must strive for the preservation of our natural resources. (我们必须努力保护自然资源)conservation, preservation, reservation从汉语概念出发时很容易混淆。Conservation是动词conserve派生的名词, 与原来动词的意义相同, 表示"保持、保存”时, 强调“珍惜、节用。 Preservation是动词preserve派生的名词, 强调“收藏、保存”使之完好无损或质量不变; 常与食品、博物馆收藏的展品等词搭配。Reservation主要指意见、看法等的“保留”; 作“保留地”解时, 尤指美国印地安人保留地或澳大利亚土著民族保留地。本题指自然生态的保持, 用conservation最切题。
          本题译文:这个珍禽巢居的岛已宣布为自然保护区。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-24 10:43:11 | 显示全部楼层
分页标题#e#
          58. Although John was the eldest in the family, he always let his sister _____ charge of the house.
          A. take B. hold C. make D. get
          [答案] A. take.
          [注释]take charge of (=to be or become responsible for sb. or sth.) 负责、掌管、看管; He took charge of the department (or the children)
          59. The child enjoyed _____ up the wooden bricks then knocking them down.
          A. adding B. pushing C. piling D. forming
          [答案] C. piling.
          [注释] pile up (=lay in a pile or as if in a pile) 把......放成一堆, 堆积:pile up the books on the table (把书堆在桌子上) 。Pile up作不及物动词用, 意为“积压; (若干汽车) 相撞”:1) Perishable goods are piling up at the docks. (码头上易腐烂的货物堆积如山。) 2) Several cars piled up after ignoring the fog warning on the motorway. (由于无视高速公路上的大雾警告, 有好几辆汽车相撞。)
          60. John was very upset because he was _____ by the police with breaking the law.
          A. accused B. arrested C. sentenced D.charged
          [答案] D. charged.
          [注释]be charged with受指控犯有......; He was charged with murder. (他受指控犯有凶杀罪。)
          61.It isn't quite _____ that he will be present at the meeting.
          A. sure B. right C. exact D. certain
          [答案] D. certain.
          [注释]I am sure that +从句。He is sure to come. = He is certain to come.但在it作形式主语, that引导主语从句时, 主句中表语只能用certain, 不能用sure.
          62. Many new _____ will be opened up in the future for those with a university education.
          A. opportunitiesB.realitiesC.necessitiesD. probabilities
          [答案] A. opportunities.
          [注释]opportunity常指“ (难得的应抓住的) 机会”, 既可作可数名词, 也可以作不可数名词用, 如:I had few opportunities of meeting interesting people there. They had not much opportunity for hearing good music in the remote area.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-24 11:34:59 | 显示全部楼层
分页标题#e#
          63. The members of the club wouldn't run a _____ in entrusting(委托) the organization to an unreliable person.
          A. danger B. risk C. hazard D. chance
          [答案] B. risk.
          [注释]run a risk (in) 冒险:You are running a big risk in trusting him.
          本题译文:俱乐部成员不愿冒险把这个组织委托给一个不可靠的人管理。
          64. The meeting was _____ when the chairman fell ill.
          A.put down B.shut out C.cut short D.taken off
          [答案] C. cut short.
          [注释]cut short (=interrupt) 打断, 中断:1) He made a suggestion, but I cut him short. (他提了个建议, 但我打断了他。) 2) He cut short his tour and returned home. (他中断旅行, 回家了。) shut off (=cut off, interrupt) 切断, 中断; 由指切断供应等, 如:The water was shut off for several hours while the plumber repaired the pipes. Shut out (=keep out; exclude; prevent form entering) 把......关在外面, 排除, 不让入内:1) He shut the cat out. (他把猫关在外面。) 2) The law was designed to shut out immigrants. (这项法律旨在拒绝移民入竟。) 3) They shut out the dust by having double windows. (他们用双层窗户防尘。) 4) They begin to speak French, shutting out the boy from their conversation. (他们讲起法语来, 使这个男孩无法参加他们的谈话。)
          65. John says that his present job does not provide him with enough _____ for his organizing ability.
          A. scope B. space C. capacity D. range
          [答案] A. scope.
          [注释]本题中scope (=opportunity; outlet) 施展机会, 发展余地, 是不可数名词, 如:Give someone scope to show his ability. Range意指“变动范围; 视听范围; 理解范围”, 如:the range of prices (价格变动范围).
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-24 13:02:59 | 显示全部楼层
分页标题#e#
          66. I just managed to _____ a quick breath before I was sucked under the water by the passing boat.
          A. snatch B. scratch C. scrape D. scan
          [答案] A. snatch.
          [注释] snatch的原义是“攫取; 抓住; 夺得”。本题中snatch意指“匆忙间设法得到”, 如:He snatched an hour of sleep. (他匆匆睡了一小时觉。) snatch a quick breath (匆忙猛吸了一口气)。
          67. My brother likes eating very much but he isn't very _____ about the food he eats.
          A. special B. peculiar C. particular D. unusual
          [答案] C. particular.
          [注释]be particular about对......讲究, 挑剔; She is very particular about what she wears. (她对她得穿着很讲究。) Mr. Smith was quite particular about my work. (史密斯先生对工作十分挑剔。)
          68. I don't think the charge for overhauling (大修)the equipment is excessive in _____ to its size.
          A.correspondenceB.equationC.proportionD. dimension
          [答案] C. proportion.
          [注释]in proportion to是固定搭配, 意为“与......成比例, 与.......相称”。反义语:out of proportion不成比例,不相称。本题称。
          本题译文:我认为该设备的大修费并不过分, 是与它的大小相称的。
          69. Voices were _____ as the argument between the two motorists became more bad-tempered.
          A. swollen B. raised C. developed D. increased
          [答案] B. raised.
          [注释]raise (=lift up) one's voice提高嗓门, 高声叫喊。Raise one's voice against sth. 意为“为抗议某事而大声疾呼”, 如:As no one raised his voice against the plan, it was agreed on. (因为没有人发表反对意见, 该计划就一致通过了。) voice的常用习语有:the public voice (舆论) , under one's voice (小声地) , with one voice (异口同声地,一致地) ,lose one's voice (嗓子哑了, 说不出话来) , have no voice with (对某事无发言权)。
          70. Having lived in the town for quite a few years, Mr. Johnson no longer felt _____ among the local people.
          A. out of order B. out of place
          C. out of control D. out of the question
          [答案] B. out of place.
          [注释]out of place (=in the wrong place or at the wrong time; not suitable; improper) (作表语用) 不适宜, 不得体:1) Joan was the only girl who wore a formal at the party, and she felt out of place. (=She felt embarrassed because her dress was not suitable for the party.) 2) It was out of place for Russell to laugh at the old lady. (=It was not proper; she should not have done it.) 此外,out of place (=not in the right usual place or position) (作状语用) 不在原来通常的地方:Helen fell and knocked one of her teeth out of place. Out of order 发生故障; 失调。Out of control 失去控制。Out of the question 不可能的。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-24 13:30:22 | 显示全部楼层
分页标题#e#  
          71. He stopped his ears with his hands to _____ the terrible noise.
          A. show off B. cut out C. keep from D. shut out
          [答案] D. shut out.
          [注释]shut out排除。参看IV.64。show off炫耀; cut out删掉; keep from; 1) 隐瞒; She kept the truth from me. (她向我隐瞒真相。) 2) 不沾, 避开; He keeps from alcohol. (他滴酒不沾。) 3) 使不做某事:She kept herself from laughing. (她没有笑出来。)
          72. My house is the only brick one on the street. It _____ and you can't miss it.
          A. stands up B. looks out C. sticks out D. wipes out
          [答案] C. stick out.
          [注释]stick out (=protrude, project) 伸出, 突出; 显露, 显眼:1) The doctor asked him to stick his tongue out. 2) Spelling mistakes stick out in this composition. (这篇作文中拼写错误很显眼。) stick out (=endure to the end) 坚持到底; If you can stick out a bit longer ,everything will be all right. (假如你能在坚持一下, 一切都会好起来。)
          wipe out 擦去, 消灭, 参看III.193.注释.
          73. After the show, the crowd _____ out of the theater.
          A. poured B. melted C. drew D. dismissed
          [答案] A. poured.
          [注释]pour 此处意为:涌出, 涌来, 如:People poured out to the rally. (人们踊跃参加群众大会。)
          74. Although it is not our normal _____ to give credit, this time I think we should consider the matter more closely.
          A. state B. intention C. occasion D. practice
          [答案] D. practice.
          [注释]practice (=way of doing sth. That is common or habitual; sth. done regularly) 做法, 惯例 :It is my practice always to rise early. To give credit 让赊欠:No credit is given at this shop. (这家商店概不赊欠。)
          75. It gave me a strange feeling of excitement to see my name in _____.
          A. news B. print C. publication D. press
          [答案] B. print.
          [注释]in print是习语, 意指“印出来, 发表出来”, 如:She finally saw her novel in print. (她终于看到他的小说出版了。) in print 的另一个意思是“在印行, 还在发行”, 如:This book is still in print. (这本书还在发行, 可以买到) 反义词是out of print , 意指“不在印行, 买不到了。”如:The book you speak of is out of print. (你说到的那本书已不在发行了。)

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-24 14:50:01 | 显示全部楼层
分页标题#e#
          76. The engineers have rejected the employers' proposals to end the strike and the other workers have come out in _____.
          A. opposition B. return C. sympathy D. readiness
          [答案] C. sympathy.
          [注释] in sympathy 以示同情, come out 此处意为 (=declare oneself) 表明态度, 所以come out in sympathy 意为“表示同情”。In return 作为报答, 如:I wanted nothing in return . (我不要什么报答。) collaboration协作, 如:work in collaboration with sb. (与某人协力合作) 。Opposition 反对, 如:rise in opposition to (起来反对) 。readiness 准备 (状态); 待机, 如:having everything in readiness for departure (做好一切准备, 以便出发)。
          77. Her work is often very hard and she gets very tired. The work is _____.
          A.wonderful B.splendid C.tedious D.magnificent
          [答案] C. tedious .
          [注释] tedious (=tiresome ;wearying; uninteresting) "沉闷的, 厌烦的, 乏味的”。Splendid 壮丽的, 辉煌的, 极好的。magnificent 壮丽的, 宏伟的:It was a magnificent ceremony. (这是一次盛大隆重的仪式)。
          78. With prices _____ so much, it's hard for the company to plan a budget.
          A.fluctuating B.waving C.swinging D.vibrating
          [答案] A. fluctuating
          [注释]本句前一部分是"with+名词+现在分词短语"的独立结构, 做状语。Fluctuate (=move up and down) (指物价, 标准等的) 波动。如:Prices fluctuate from year to year. (物价年年波动) wave飘扬, 挥舞; 招手; (庄稼的) 波动。Swing摆动, 摇摆; vibrate振动。可见, 根据题意, 只能选A. fluctuating.
          79. Some teenagers have a generalized resentment against society, which _____ them the rights and privileges of adults, although physically they are mature.
          A. deprives B. restricts C. rejects D. denies
          [答案] D. denies.
          [注释]deny (=refuse to give or allow) 拒绝给予:He denied his children nothing . (孩子们要什么他就给什么。) deprive (=take away from) .剥夺。deprive sb. of sth.剥夺某人某物:They deprived women of the right to vote. (他们剥夺了妇女的投票权。) restrict (=keep within limits) The doctor restricted him to 5 cigarettes a day. (医生限制他一天抽5支烟。) reject (refuse to accept ) 拒绝接受, 如:She rejected my suggestion.
          本题译文:一些十几岁的孩子们往往对社会有普遍的逆反心理, 虽然他们发育成熟, 但社会拒绝给予他们同成年人一样的权利和优惠。
          80. Though _____ in San Francisco, Dave Mitchell had always preferred to record the plain facts of small-town life.
          A. raised B. grown C. developed D. cultivated
          [答案] A. raised
          [注释]本句中Though raised in San Franciscos是省略的让步状语从句。Raise (=bring up) 抚养:grow种植; cultivate耕作; 培养 (友谊等) 。如cultivate后接某人, 则意为“培养与某人的感情”。如:John always tries to cultivate the people, who are useful to him professionally. (约翰一向喜欢与事业上对他有用的人来往。)
          本题译文:尽管在旧金山长大, 但戴夫米切尔总是愿意把小镇生活中平凡的事情记载下来。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-24 15:33:46 | 显示全部楼层
分页标题#e#  
          81. I'm afraid this painting is not by Picasso. It's only a copy and so it's _____.
          A.priceless B.invaluable C.unworthy D. worthless
          [答案] D. worthless.
          [注释] worthless 无价值的, 无用的。Priceless 无价的, 贵重的, 无法估价的:a priceless treasure 无价之宝。Invaluable 无法估价的, 非常宝贵的。Unworthy 不值得的, 不配的; 无价值的。
          82. The final _____ of the play will take place on Monday.
          A. action B. performance C. view D. sight
          [答案] B. performance.
          [注释]performance (话剧的) 一场演出。
          83. It was a long time before the cut on my hand _____ completely.
          A. healed B. cured C. improved D. recovered
          [答案] A. healed.
          [注释] heal 1) 使痊愈, 治愈:The salve will help to heal the wound. (这种药膏能治愈你的伤。) 2) 痊愈 (多指外伤) :The cut on my leg has healed. (我腿上的伤口以痊愈。) 可见, 本题是heal的第二种用法。cure治疗, 治好; The drug cured my fever. (这种药使我退烧了。) This medicine should cure you of your cold. (这种药定会治好你的感冒。) recover也可以表示“痊愈”, 意为“恢复正常”。例如:1) I think she will recover. (我认为她会痊愈的。) 2) He almost fell ill, but quickly recovered. (他差点病到, 但很快就痊愈了。) 也可以用recovered做表语表示“痊愈, 恢复正常:Are you completely recovered from your illness? (你的病是不是完全好了?)
          [注意] recover vi. 用作“痊愈”时, 句子主语通常是人。Improve 改善, 此词无“治疗”或“痊愈”之意。
          本题译文:过了很长时间我手上的伤口才痊愈。
          84. To get my travelers' checks I had to have the bank _____ a special check for the total amount.
          A. make up B. make out C. make for D. make up for
          [答案] B. make out.
          [注释] make out 辨别, 详见III.123.注释.
          85. She said she was glad the difficulty had been _____.
          A. cleared away B. cleared up
          C. broken away D. broken down
          [答案] B. cleared up.
          [注释] clear up 解释, 澄清; 解决:1) I had some doubts, but now they are cleared up. (以前我有许多疑点, 但现在都解决了。) 2) The book has cleared up many difficulties for me. (这本书解决了我不少困难。) clear away 清除。详见III.32.break away 和 break down 详见Ⅲ.6,7,11.注释.
          86. I used to be able to play well but I'm _____ now.
          A. out of date B. out of touch
          C. out of practice D. out of place
          [答案] C. out of practice.
          [注释] out of practice荒废, 久不练习; out of date 过时, 老式; out of touch失去联系; out of place详见 III, 70注释。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-24 16:27:40 | 显示全部楼层
分页标题#e#  
          87. As soon as the children were _____, their mother got them out of bed and into the bathroom.
          A. woke B. waken C. wake D. awake
          [答案] D. awake.
          [注释]awake adj.醒着的 (作表语) 。Awake, awaken, wake, waken都可以作及物和不及物动词用, 但是awake多用作不及物动词, 其中wake最常用。
          88. Jim was so badly burnt that at first they began to _____ of his life.
          A. despair B. designate C. disappoint D. despise
          [答案] A. despair.
          [注释] despair of (=be in despair) 对.......失望:1) Don't despair: things will get better soon. 2) He began to despair of success. 3) He despaired of being able to repair the TV set. (他对能否修好这台电视机表示失望。) designate指明, 指出, despise 轻视, 藐视。
          89. The government's strong action demonstrated its _____ to crush the rebellion.
          A. energy B. resistance C. courage D. determination
          [答案] D. determination.
          [注释] determination意为“决心”, 后常接动词不定式作定语。
          90. New mineral resources may be discovered during the forthcoming Antarctic _____.
          A. excursion B. execution C. extraction D. expedition
          [答案] D. expedition.
          [注释]expedition 远征, 探险; excursion 短途旅行, 游览; execution 实施, 执行; extraction 提取。
          91. Probability is the mathematical study of the _____ of an event's occurrence.
          A. desire B. likelihood C. result D. effect
          [答案] B. likelihood
          [注释] 句意:概率是对事件发生的可能性的数学研究。
          92. Driving a car without insurance can have _____ consequences.
          A. uncertain B. disastrous C. potential D. unworthy
          [答案] B. disastrous.
          [注释] disastrous 灾难性的。
          93. The police refused to _____ the clues they were working on.
          A. exhibit B. disclose C. expose D. discern
          [答案] B. disclose.
          [注释]disclose (=uncover; allow to be seen; make known) 透露, 使显露: 1) The lawyer disclosed the details of the case. 2) He disclosed that he had made arrangements to buy a new car. exhibit 展览, 展出, 显示, expose 暴露,discern 认出, 发现, 辨别,识别。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-24 16:46:30 | 显示全部楼层
分页标题#e#
          本题译文:警方拒绝透露他们正在调查的线索。
          94. What you have done is _____ the doctor's orders.
          A. attached to B. resistant to
          C. responsible to D. contrary to
          [答案] D. contrary to.
          [注释] (be) contrary to与.......相反, 违反 (作表语) :What you wish to do is contrary to the regulations. contrary to也可以作状语:a. If you act contrary to the doctor's advice, you won't get well again. b. Contrary to what I thought, he has proved to be successful. 2) 作定语:The boy was swimming in a direction contrary to the current. (这男孩朝着逆流方向游去。)
          95. The shop-assistant was straight with his customers. If an article was of _____ quality, he'd tell them so.
          A. minor B. humble C. inferior D. awkward
          [答案] C. inferior
          [注释] inferior详见III.400.注释.
          本题译文:这位商店售货员对顾客很坦率。如果货物质量不好, 他就把情况告诉顾客。
          96. The continuous rain was _____ for the exceptional poor harvest
          A. blamed B. condemned C. accused D. charged
          [答案] A. blamed.
          [注释] blame sb./sth. for ... 因.......埋怨、责怪 .......:He blames you for neglect of duty. (他责怪你玩忽职守。) condemn 谴责、判刑。Accuse sb. of控告某人犯有.......。charge sb. with控告某人犯有......。
          97. The rocks are very big with _____ of colors on them.
          A. bands B. marks C. rails D. shapes
          [答案] A. bands.
          [注释] band (颜色与其余部分不同的) 条纹。Mark痕迹, 斑点; 记号, 标记。本题是讲岩石上色彩不同的“条纹”, 故用bands. rail (轨道) ,shape (形状) ,均不合题意。
          98. There were no tickets _____ for Friday's performance.
          A. preferable B. possible C. considerable D. available
          [答案] D. available.
          [注释] available (=capable of being used; that may be obtained) 可利用的; 可以找到的:1) These tickets are available for one month. (这些票的有效期一个月。) 2) Is there a doctor available? (有否可以找到大夫?) 3) A limited number of seats are still available. (仍然还有少量座位。)
          99. Despite all the evidence to the contrary, the witness _____ that his story was true.
          A. stuck out B. stood out C. kept down D. held up
          [答案] A. stuck out.
          [注释]stick out 坚持。详见III.400.注释.
          100. In a typhoon, winds _____ a speed greater than 120 kilometers per hour.
          A. assume B. accomplish C. attain D. assemble
          [答案] C. attain.
          [注释] attain (=succeed in doing or getting) 达到 (目的等) ,取得 (成就等) :I hope you will attain your object, accomplish (顺利) 完成。assume假定, 假设, 承担。assemble集合; 装配。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|新都网 ( 京ICP备09058993号 )

GMT+8, 2024-3-28 21:14 , Processed in 0.098094 second(s), 7 queries , WinCache On.