帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-24 18:46:55 | 显示全部楼层
分页标题#e#
          (6)
          Beldon and Canfield are two seashore towns, not far apart. Both towns have many hotels, and in summer the hotels are full of holiday-makers and other tourists.
          Last August there was a fire at the Seabreeze Hotel in Beldon. The next day, this news appeared on page two of the town’s newspaper. The Beldon Post:
          FIRE AT SEABREEZE
          Late last night firemen hurried to the Seabreeze Hotel and quickly put out a small fire in a bedroom. The hotel manager said that a cigarette started the fire. We say again to all our visitors: “Please don’t smoke cigarettes in bed.” This was Beldon’s first hotel fire for five years.
          The Canfield Times gave the news in these words on page one:
          ANOTHER BELDON HOTEL CATCHES FIRE
          Last night Beldon firemen arrived just too late to save clothing, bedclothes and some furniture at the Seabreeze Hotel. An angry holiday-maker said, “An electric lamp probably started the fire. The bedroom lamps are very old at some of these hotels. When I put my bedside light on, I heard a funny noise from the lamp.” We are glad to tell our readers that this sort of adventure does not happen in Canfield.
          What are the facts, then? It is never easy to find out the exact truth about an accident. There was a fire at the Seabreeze Hotel last August: that is one fact. Do we know anything else? Yes, we know that firemen went to the hotel.
          Now what do you think of the rest of the “news” ?
          1. Which of the following best gives the main idea of this text?
          A. Beldon and Canfield are both good places for tourists in summer.
          B. A fire broke out night in Seabreeze Hotel last summer.
          C. It was not easy to find out exact truth from newspapers.
          D. Two newspapers gave reports on the same matter.
          2. Which of the following are probably facts?
          a. The fire broke out in a bedroom at the hotel.
          b. A cigarette started the fire.
          c. An old lamp started the fire.
          d. The fire broke out at night.
          e. There has never been a fire in Canfield.
          A. b and c B. a and d C. c and e D. a and c
          3. The Canfield Times used the headline like this in order to make its readers think _______.
          A. hotels in Beldon often catch fire
          B. hotels in Beldon don’t often catch fire
          C. this was the second fire at the Seabreeze Hotel
          D. Beldon was a good place except that hotels there are not quite safe
          4. The Canfield newspaper gave a report just the opposite to the Beldon Post by saying that _______.
          A. the bedroom lamps were very old at the Seabreeze Hotel
          B. the bedroom lights made funny noise when the fire took place
          C. the firemen failed to save clothing, bedclothes and other things
          D. such accidents never happened in Canfield for the past 5 years
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-24 19:36:23 | 显示全部楼层
分页标题#e#
          【答案解析】
          本文通过讲述两个对手城市的报纸对同一件火灾事故的不同报道,对新闻报道的真实性提出了质疑。
          1. C。主旨题。从主题句It is never easy to find out the exact truth about an accident.可得出答案。
          2. B。细节题。根据There was a fire at the Seabreeze Hotel last August及两张报纸都报道了火灾是在晚上发生的,故可以确定的事实只有两项a和 d。而其他选项都只是两份报纸的片面之辞,到度是真是假,我们无法得知,因此答案为B。
          3. A。推断题。ANOTHER BELDON HOTEL CATCHES FIRE中ANOTHER是个关键词,它暗示了Beldon宾馆频繁发生的火灾。
          4. C。细节题。The Canfield Times 报道说Last night Beldon firemen arrived just too late to save clothing, bedclothes and some furniture at the Seabreeze Hotel.,而The Beldon Post则说消防队员及时把这场小火扑灭了,(没有造成损失),两者报道相反。可此题答案为C。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-24 20:05:01 | 显示全部楼层
分页标题#e#
          (7)
          Jack used to curse(咒骂) the front yard as if it were a living thing. He was the man who lived with my grandmother for thirty years. He was not my grandfather, but an Italian who came down the road one day, selling fruit in Florida.
          Jack stopped at my grandmother’s house to sell her some oranges just a stone’s throw from downtown Miami, and he was delivering her whiskey a week later. He stayed for thirty years. Jack hated the front yard because he thought it was against him. There had been a beautiful lawn(草坪) there when Jack came along, but he let it wander off into nothing. He refused to water it or take care of it in any way.
          Now the ground was so hard that it gave his car flat tires(轮胎) in the summer. The yard was always finding a nail to put in one of his tires or the car as always sinking out of sight in the winter when the rains came on. The lawn had belonged to my grandfather, who lived out the end of his life in an insane hospital. It had been his pride and joy and was said to be the place where his powers came.
          1. It can be inferred that the real reason Jack had problems with the yard was that _______.
          A. he didn’t like the lawn.
          B. the author’s grandfather was against Jack working on the lawn
          C. the lawn was full of living things
          D. he himself did not take care of the lawn
          2. We can learn from the passage that when the lawn belonged to the author’s grandfather, it had been _______.
          A. beautiful B. worn out C. wasted D. full of nails
          3. What do we know about Jack and the author’s grandfather?
          A. They both hated the front lawn.
          B. Jack was jealous of the author’s grandfather.
          C. They sold fruit in Florida.
          D. They came from Italy and lived together.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-24 20:15:07 | 显示全部楼层
分页标题#e#
          【答案解析】
          Jack为什么曾经指桑骂槐,因为他嫉妒我祖父。我祖父曾把前花园弄得很漂亮。
          1. D。判断题。从第2段最后一句话He refused to water it or take care of it in any way. 可以判断。
          2. A。语义理解题。根据There had been a beautiful lawn(草坪) there when Jack came along, but he let it wander off into nothing 可知答案。
          3. B。判断题。运用排除法:根据原文可知A、C、D三项明显不对。再看第1段第1句话的意思:Jack 过去常常咒骂前花园,就好像那花园是一个有生命的东西一样,可以看出Jack 不是在骂花园,而是指桑骂槐,所以选B。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-24 21:40:13 | 显示全部楼层
分页标题#e#
          (8)
          When Johnson called again, the manager received him very politely. “That is a most remarkable oil you brought us, Mr Johnson,” he said. Johnson nodded his smooth, dark head. That was something he knew very well. “I’ve never seen anything like it,” the manager admitted. Johnson nodded again. “No?” he said politely. Then he added, “But I think you will, sir. A very great deal of it.” He appeared to think for a moment. “I think you will find it will be on sale seven, perhaps, eight years from now.” He smiled.
          The manager thought that was uncertain. He said, “It is better than our fish oils. I admit that.” “So I am told, sir,” agreed Johnson.
          “Have you any plans to produce it yourself, Mr Johnson?”
          Johnson smiled again. “Would I be showing it to you if I had?”
          “We might add some chemicals to one of our own fish oils,” said the manager.
          “It would be expensive to do that, even if you could.” Johnson said gently. “Besides,” he added, “I am told that this oil will be much cheaper than your best fish oils. Cheaper than any vegetable oil, in fact.”
          “Perhaps,” said the manager. “Well, I suppose you want to make an arrangement, Mr Johnson, Shall we discuss it?”
          “Of course,” said Johnson. “There are two ways of dealing with a situation of this sort. The usual one is to prevent it altogether or at least to delay it as long as possible. That is, of course, the best way,” The manager nodded. He knew plenty about all that.
          “But I am so sorry for you, because, you see, that is not possible this time.” The manager had his doubts, but all he said was an inquiring(asking), “Oh?”
          “The other way,” continued Johnson, “is to produce yourself before the trouble starts.”
          1. The manager thought of adding chemicals to the fish oil to make it ________.
          A. cheaper than the new oil B. more quickly
          C. more expensive D. as good as the new oil
          2. Johnson’s new oil would be ________.
          A. more expensive than fish oil, but better
          B. less expensive, and better
          C. less expensive, but not good
          D. more expensive, and not so good
          3. Johnson expressed his regret that the manager ________.
          A. could not stop the new oil being made
          B. would never know how to make it
          C. had spent a lot of money on it
          D. didn’t know enough about it
          4. Johnson showed his new oil to the manager because he wanted ________.
          A. to produce it himselfB. to prevent it being produced
          C. to be paid not to produce it  D. the manager to produce it
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-24 22:47:51 | 显示全部楼层
分页标题#e#
          【答案解析】
          本文描述了Johnson向经理推销他所研制的生产新品种的油的过程。
          1. D。推断题。根据第2段经理所说的话 It is better than our fish oils 和第6段We might add some chemicals to one of our own fish oils可推知此题的答案为D。
          2. B。推断题。根据Johnson与经理的对话,特别是从It is better than our fish oils和I am told that this oil will be much cheaper than your best fish oils 可推知此题答案为B。
          3. A。推断题。根据文章倒数第二、三段中的The usual one is to prevent it altogether or at least to delay it as long as possible和But I am so sorry for you, because, you see, that is not possible this time可推知此题为A。
          4. D。推断题。根据文章最后一句及全文Johnson所讲的话可推知此题答案为D。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-25 00:06:23 | 显示全部楼层
分页标题#e#
          (9)
          A lot of us lose life’s tough battles by starting a frontal(正面的) attack—when a touch of humor might well enable us to win. Consider the case of a young friend of mine, who hit a traffic jam on his way to work shortly after receiving an ultimatum(最后通牒) about being late on the job. Although there was a good reason for Sam’s a being late—serious illness at home—he decided that this by-now-familiar excuse wouldn’t work any longer. His supervisor was probably already pacing up and down preparing a dismissal speech.
          Yes, the boss was, Sam entered the office at 9:35. The place was as quiet as a locker room(更衣室); everyone was hard at work. Sam’s supervisor came up to him. Suddenly, Sam forced a grin and stretched out his hand. “How do you do!” he said. “I’m Sam Maynard. I’m applying for a job. Which, I understand, became available just 35 minutes ago. Does the early bird get the worm?”
          The room exploded in laughter. The supervisor clamped off a smile and walked back to his office. Sam Maynard had saved his job—with the only tool that could win, a laugh.
          Humor is a most effective, yet frequently neglected(忽略), means of handling the difficult situations in our lives. It can be used for patching up differences, apologizing, saying “no”, criticizing, getting the other fellow to do what you want without his losing face. For some jobs, it’s the only tool that can succeed. It is a way to discuss subjects so sensitive that serious dialog may start a quarrel. For example, many believe that comedians(喜剧演员) on television are doing more today for racial and religious tolerance(忍受力) than people in any other forum.
          1. Why was Sam late for his job?
          A. Because he was ill.
          B. Because he got up late.
          C. Because he was caught in a traffic jam.
          D. He was busy applying for a new job.
          2. The main idea of this passage is ________.
          A. Sam Maynard saved his job with humor
          B. humor is important in our lives
          C. early bird gets the worm
          D. humor can solve racial discriminations
          3. The phrase “clamped off” in Paragraph 3 means ________.
          A. tried to hold back B. tried to set C. charged D. gave out
          4. Which of the following statements can we infer from the passage?
          A. Many lose life’s battles for they are lacking in a sense of humor.
          B. It wasn’t the first time that Sam came late for his work.
          C. Sam was supposed to come to his office at 8:30.
          D. Humor is the most effective way of solving problems.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-25 01:31:49 | 显示全部楼层
分页标题#e#
          【答案解析】
          本文通过一个小故事讲述了幽默的重要性。
          1. C。细节题。根据who hit a traffic jam on his way to work可知,他迟到的原因是他碰上了交通堵塞。
          2. B。主旨题。根据短文第 1 句是主题句 A lot of us lose life’s tough battles by starting a frontal(正面的) attack — when a touch of humor might well enable us to win (在人生很多场激烈的争斗中,我们如果与人硬碰硬正面交锋的话,可能败得一塌糊涂。而幽默往往使我们反败为胜)和文章第 4 段第 1 句,可知整篇短文讲的是幽默的重要性。
          3. A。词义猜测题。前面提到老板连辞退他的话都想好了,而Sam开的这个玩笑使人们哄堂大笑。而老板为了树立他的威严,仍然强忍住笑。故答案为A。
          4. B。 推断题。根据 …shortly after receiving an ultimatum(最后通牒) about being late on the job 我们可以了解到,Sam不止一次上班迟到了。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-25 01:39:40 | 显示全部楼层
分页标题#e#
          (10)
          In 1939 two brothers, Mac and Dick McDonald, started a drive-in restaurant in San Bernadino, California. They carefully chose a busy corner for their location. They had run their own businesses for years, first a theater, then a barbecue(烤肉) restaurant, then another drive-in. But in their new operation, they offered a new, shortened menu: French fries, hamburgers, and sodas. To this small selection they added one new idea: quick service, no waiters or waitresses, and no tips.
          Their hamburgers sold for fifteen cents. Cheese was another four cents. Their French fries and hamburgers had a remarkable uniformity(一致性), for the brothers had developed a strict routine(程序) for the preparation of their food, and they insisted on their cooks’ sticking to their routine. Their new drive-in became surprisingly popular, particularly for lunch. People drove up by the hundreds during the busy noontime. The self-service restaurant was so popular that the brothers had allowed ten copies of their restaurant to be opened. They were content with this modest success until they met Ray Kroc.
          Kroc was a salesman who met the McDonald brothers in 1954, when he was selling milkshake-mixing machines. He quickly saw the special attraction of the brothers’ fast-food restaurants and bought the right to franchise(特许经营) other copies of their restaurants. The agreement included the right to duplicate(复制) the menu, the equipment, even their red and white buildings with the golden arches(拱门).
          Today McDonald’s is really a household name. In 1976, McDonald’s had over $ l billion in total sales. Its first twenty-two years is one of the most surprising success stories in modern American business history.
          1. This passage mainly talks about _______.
          A. the development of fast food services
          B. how McDonald’s became a billion-dollar business
          C. the business careers of Mac and Dick McDonald
          D. Ray Kroc’s business talent
          2. Mac and Dick managed all of the following businesses except _______.
          A. a drive-in B. a theater
          C. a cinema D. a barbecue restaurant
          3. We may infer from this passage that _______.
          A. Mac and Dick McDonald never became wealthy for they sold their idea to Kroc.
          B. the place the McDonalds chose was the only source of the great popularity of their drive-in
          C. forty years ago there were lots of fast-food restaurants
          D. Ray Kroc was a good businessman
          4. The passage suggests that _______.
          A. creativity is an important element of business success
          B. Ray Kroc was the close partner of the McDonald brothers
          C. Mac and Dick McDonald became broken after they sold their ideas to Ray Kroc
          D. California is the best place to go into business
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2016-7-25 03:09:09 | 显示全部楼层
分页标题#e#
          【答案解释】
          “麦当劳”是家喻户晓的世界著名快餐饮食品牌。本文介绍了Mac and Dick McDonald两兄弟最初创业及 Kroc 购买该品牌经营权, 复制和发展“麦当劳”的一些情况。
          1. B。主旨题。通读全文可知本文主要介绍 Mac and Dick McDonald 两兄弟的最初创业及 Kroc 购买该品牌经营权的情况,由此可知答案为 B。
          2. C。细节题。根据第 1 段第 3 句话 They had run their own businesses for years, first a theater, then a barbecue(烤肉) restaurant, then another drive-in可知答案为 C。
          3. D。判断题。根据第 3 段第 2 句 He quickly saw the special attraction of the brothers’ fast-food restaurants and bought the right to franchise(特许经营) other copies of their restaurants.可以做出正确判断。
          4. A。主旨题。从全文可得出结论:创造力是事业成功的重要因素。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|新都网 ( 京ICP备09058993号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-18 18:29 , Processed in 0.069954 second(s), 6 queries , WinCache On.